05 May 10 Tips for parents when choosing a school
Choosing a school where your child will be happy, supported and exposed to excellent education is important to all parents. Below are some tips to keep in mind when attending school Open Days:
- Take your child with you. It is valuable to have your child’s perspective as well.
- Pay attention to pupils at the Open Day- do they seem happy and motivated? Do they speak positively of their experiences at the school?
- Don’t make decisions based on individual teachers, speak to a few.
- Write down your first impressions and try and capture how you “felt” being at the school.
- Feel free to ask questions, particularly of the pupils e.g. what do they think of the teaching and do they enjoy the school life? Ask them what subjects they like the most.
- Look at the work on display. Does it represent a broad range of ability? Is every child’s attempts valued?
- Does the school offer a range of extra-curricular activities so that your child can develop their interests?
- Does the school hold events /classes that involve people outside the school? A successful school is integrated with the community around it.
- Are the teachers happy? Ask about rates of sickness and staff turnover.
- Ask about the school’s bullying policy and ask teachers what the policy is.
Visit www.penryn.co.za to see why Penryn school life is so exciting!