Dear Partner in Education.
We are happy to share with you the Penreach Snapshot for 2019.
We remain committed to the objective of 90% of children achieving above 50% in Math, Science and Language by 2030 and continue to gear our collective effort towards achieving this, as outlined in the National Development Plan. We also subscribe to the ideals of Sustainable Development Goals, most notably SDG 4; ensuring that all children have equal access to quality educational opportunities.
INCREASE IN REACH
- Both CHILD and EDUCATOR reach increased in 2019. This was made possible as we continue to develop and implement intervention models that are built for scale. One example being Penreach ECD that trained and supported other organisations to implement the Penreach Essential ECD Package in Limpopo and Gauteng Provinces respectively.
- Penreach Reading Camps have recruited and continues to support 402 volunteers that host over 16 000 children in 125 communities.
- Last year, 26 scholars achieved excellent, holistic growth at Penryn Prep and College through the Penreach Bursary programme.
- Penreach Books in Homes distributed over 50 000 books to homes, classrooms and other community spaces.
IMPACT – SO WHAT HAPPENED?
- A 19% increase in access to ECD for children from marginalised communities through the different ECD programmes including Penreach Centre-based programme, the Umphakatsi home programme, as franchisor for SmartStart and through training others to become ECD beacons in their communities.
- We continue to see the trend of year-on-year increase in the number of children that achieve above 50% in Language and Math at the end of Grade 3 in our target schools.
- In 2019 we embarked on a 5-year intervention programme in Math Science and Technology (MSTA) schools in Ehlanzeni. Year 1 improvements were evident in Intermediate Phase Math and FET Phase Science. We continue to roll out the programme and hope to see an impact in the number of children achieving over 50% in Math and Science.
- The Penreach Courageous Leadership Programme established 20 Natural Playgrounds for Grade R’s at 20 schools, as well as improved School Development Plans, financial management and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Four of the Penreach Bursary scholars were awarded at the Penryn College awards for most improved academic results since Grade 8. We are extremely proud of the effort and commitment of these scholars and their teachers!
2020 – STEP INTO THE FUTURE WITH US
We are stepping into the future with the ECD practitioners, teachers, school leaders, officials, parents, children and other stakeholders and friends in 2020.
Launch of the Penreach online learning management system and e-learning platform donated by MobiGo Solutions – a proudly Mpumalanga-based product! Apart from improved learner data management and learning pathway monitoring, the Penreach GoLMS will eventually allow online access to our well-known Teacher Development Workshops to remote areas.
Another layer will be added soon to the Penreach Shalamuka Science Centre, namely STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) – based learning, making the centre a hub for 21st century learning in the region using ICT together with sound pedagogical practices to prepare teachers and learners for the new economy.
To learn more about this exciting project, see the video here: https://youtu.be/SDFLY9PYxr8
Penreach is expanding into more districts this year, most notably in taking Science education to Gert Sibande district and leadership interventions to Gert Sibande and Nkangala districts.
We look forward to stepping into this bright future with you! Contact us now to start the conversation.